Erik Qualman is one of the most influential people in the digital world. Qualman is a motivational keynote speaker and travels the world giving talks in relation to digital leadership, building your digital reputation and disruptive innovation. Among other ventures Qualman has written several books and behind J.K Rowling, was voted the second most likeable author. These books are hugely successful and has changed the way in which many view the digital realm today.
“Qualman’s depth of insight and breath of examples have prompted us to shift our thinking” (Starbucks, 2016)
Qualman’s reputation exceeds him and is highly valued in the world of digital media. Some of his partners include Disney, Nokia, Sony, Starbucks and Cartier.
“Qualman raised the bar to a new high that few will be able to match” (Sony, 2016)
So now for the big question: Why should you follow him?
After having taken the time to research and investigate Qualman’s teachings I found myself in awe of his work. There is a clear reason why Forbes voted him one of the top 50 influencers.
Here are the top 5 industry success tips that I have cultivated from him along the way:
- LinkedIn is essentially marketing yourself to potential employers. In order to get noticed you need to have a big network of people, this shows potential employers that you have connections within the business and not only that but that it gives employers a better chance to source out other potential all-star employees they may be interested in recruiting.
- Posting blogs on your LinkedIn page in relation to topics that you are interested will enhance your page and make you stand out from the rest. By doing this employers will be able to see what your expertise is in.
- When designing your company’s website you should think of your mobile design first. This forces you to not over clutter your page and simplify your site. Try getting a look at what your competitors are doing, see what is new and take advantage of it.
- As a blogger you wear many different hats, writer, ad salesman, researcher just to name a few. One of his tips to keep your blog alive is to circulate yourself throughout the blogging circle by commenting on fellow blogger’s posts, sharing content and asking questions. You need to get yourself noticed and stay current.
- In order for your business to not only survive but thrive on a digital platform, there is a simple step guide in what you should be doing:
- Listening: Pay close attention to what your customers are saying about you or your business whether it be positive or negative.
- Interacting: If someone posts something or asks a question, reply. People expect some form of communication.
- Reacting: According to Qualman, this is where most brands do not follow through. After listening and interacting you need to react. You may have noticed that many people a negative opinion of your brand, but what are you going to do to change that?
My impression of Qualman is that he has a great depth of knowledge and insight in the way businesses should be using social media. The information he gives is modern and relevant and the tips I will be leaving with such as getting noticed by a potential employer, won’t be found in any marketing or business textbook.
Qualman’s blog and all his videos are available to see on the link below